New Best Practices for the GK
- Carbon is best when it is primed before use. Priming the GK4 with very hot water is the best way to do this. It cleans, preps and activated the carbon in your filter for a great filtration effect.
- Before each session. Run about a quart of boiling or near boiling water through the GK4. This activates the carbon. Let the hot water drain out and then blow the remaining hot water out.
- Then filter your liquor as demonstrated in the product instructions.
- After you’re done filtering, run some hot water through the unit. Let it drain and blow the water out before you put it away. This will make your filter last longer and work better by getting residual liquor out of the filter.
- We use electric tea kettle / hot water makers for this, they have them at walmart for around 10 bucks. Or you can use a stove top tea kettle.
- Be careful when blowing the hot water out. You can get blow back and get a face full of hot water or steam and be disfigured or die so be warned. Don’t blow the hot water out when it’s very hot. Let it drain out and blow gently at first so you don’t get hurt. Also the hot water is hot when it comes out of the other side so don’t burn yourself / anyone else with it.
- You don’t have to do the hot water thing every time, but the more you do it the better product experience you will have.